Sunday, October 28, 2007

Renaissance Festival

What a wonderful day! For the first time in 2 years (which, lets face it, is 2 years too long), I went to the Renaissance Festival! Samantha and I went today and had a wonderful time. Apparently it was her first time going, and she seemed to have a blast. For me, it was thrilling because it almost felt like a homecoming. Some of you may know that I've lived in North Carolina for close to 11 years now. In that time, I think I've been to the Renaissance Festival about 14 times - counting the years I was able to go on multiple weekends, and discounting last year (when I was abroad all autumn and simply missed it). In that time I've become somewhat familiar with the goings-on of the RF, and I love it. I don't know how else to describe it, I simply love the RenFaire - the acts, the "rennies", the visitors, the pomp, even the cheesy pseudo-medieval impulse-buy merchants with their stupid, "we also accept Mastercard and Lady Visa" plaques on the wall. I seriously feel like if I had the choice, I could - and would - do fairs like that for a living. I've always had a soft spot for reenactors, and I especially like the RenFaire crowd because there's an element of whimsy and fun that's hard to find in other circles....and screw the anachronisms!

After one of their shows, I got a chance to talk to "And Miguel" of the Don Juan and Miguel show, and he made a comment about my voice. I guess that makes it official - I talk weird. *laugh* I've gotten several comments in the past about the peculiarities of my accent and my cadence (and more recently my vocabulary), but to hear the same kind of comments from a man who makes his living as an actor and public performer, it seems to carry a whole lot more weight. In an odd sort of way, it almost feels like an honor to be recognized by a performer of his stripe and caliber. I also got to speak in person to Zilch the Torysteller! I made some comments in his show that we went to (actually, it was just a really well-timed "Oh, now I get it!") that he played off of (i.e., made fun of me for) that got some really good laughs from the audience. I went up to shake his hand at the end of the show and he said, "I had a lot of fun today", which I think means he appreciated my contribution to his act (although it might've just been a pleasantry he'd have said to anyone who was in his audience). Whichever was actually the case, it was really awesome to have gotten to speak to two of my favorite acts at the fair! Also, I saw a couple new acts, like Mister Shantyman and Bonnie Lass - a pirate-themed musical act. It was silly and fun, but needed a little polishing.

Lots of yelling and cheering at the joust - I wouldn't be surprised if I'm a little hoarse tomorrow. Well worth it, though (although the end of the final joust was kind of lame. Just because there's a "good guy" doesn't mean he has to win in the end, you know). Oh, and it was the Halloween weekend, so there were lots of kids in costumes! Mostly princesses and a handful of knights, but we saw at least one dinosaur/dragon-thing, and a baby with wings in a baby carrier (adorable, but I wonder how comfortable the child would have been?)! If there was one thing I didn't get to do at the RenFaire that I would have wanted to, it was buying some of the delicious candied almonds they sell. I think they're delicious, and I have a suspicion Samantha would've liked them, too.

There...that's enough from me. It's been a long, full day, and I need to get my sleep.

PLUR!

No comments: