Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Haunted Sound of Melancholy

I don't normally do this, because I have a notoriously bad track record for receiving responses, but I need someone's help. I've been trying to find information about Mistral, and so far I've reached something of a roadblock.

According to Wikipedia, Mistral is "an atmostpheric phenomenon that occurs mostly in the winter and spring in the Gulf of Lion. It creates a cold, strong northwesterly wind along the coast, particularly from Marsielle to Toulon, in southern France and in the whole of Sardinia in Italy." The article then goes on to explain a bit more about the meteorological details of Mistral.

However, what I want to know is how and when the name "Mistral" came about, what the word means, and what the legends and folklore about the Mistral winds are. I've done a bit of searching myself, but so far my efforts have been fruitless. If you can find any information about that for me, please let me know! I can't even pretend to offer a reward, but maybe I'll buy you a candy bar or something.

Thanks in advance!

PLUR!

No comments: