Monday, May 18, 2009

What do all villains have in common?

They monologue right before the protagonist whups the tar out of them!

And on the topic of bad-guy monologues, this may be one of the most "villainous" ones I've ever heard; it rides that beautifully fine line between truly evil, and utterly campy. It's spoken by Galactic Boss Cyrus in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (and probably Platinum as well), so if you'll bear with me please and try not to ridicule me too much for quoting a Pokémon game...

"...I see. You must be the Trainer I've been hearing about. The foolhardy one that's trying to stand up to Team Galactic. Although I'd hardly expected to see that the Trainer is a mere child. I'd heard that our Commanders had a rough time with you..."

((here's where it gets good!))

"I know why you're here, I can sense it in you. It's about UXIE, MESPRIT, and AZELF, correct? You want to save them... I no longer have any need for them. I am finished with them. If your heart aches to save them, go right ahead, I could care less. It will save me the trouble of disposing of them. But I must say... You are a remarkable specimen. Those Pokémon have nothing to do with you, do they not? But still you came to rescue them out of pity? Such pitifully useless emotions... It's illogical and irrational. Pity and compassion are products of the weak and lacking human heart. You were compelled to come here by such vacuous sentimentality! I will make you regret paying heed to your heart!"

Not bad for a kid's video game, huh?

PLUR!

No comments: