Monday, May 25, 2009

Today is Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day in the United States. Today is the day we've set aside to recognize and honor the men and women who've died in military service. But Memorial Day is a federal holiday, and my greatest fear is that as soon as someone implies government to something, that thing becomes immediately politicized.

As a matter of personal philosophy and moral code, I call myself a pacifist and even a conscientious objector. I do not like violence and war, and fundamentally disagree with many of the justifications offered for both. However, even though I'm strong in my convictions, I'm not blinded by them. Although it pains me, I see that violence and war are integral parts of the social fabric not only of our country, but of all the nations on Earth, and while that is true, no matter how much I protest it, I must acknowledge that conflict occurs, militaries are created, and wars waged. And as a result, people die.

Today is Memorial Day in the United States. Today is the day we've set aside to recognize and honor the men and women who've died in military service. No matter one's political leanings, no matter one's convictions about the waging of war (or the reasons for doing so), today is a day of remembrance. Whether wreathed in tragedy or heroism, the death of every man and woman who's had their life cut short while in service to their country has impacted us. Hold the memories of these men and women in the light. Hold their families, friends, and loved ones in the light. Today of all days, I think we should be able to put aside partisan philosophies and vitriolic opinions, and come together with fellow Americans to mourn the lives that have been lost, and celebrate the cause they served - protecting the United States so that this country can work to become the best nation it possibly can.

We still have a long way to go, I think, but some day I hope the men and women who died in service to this country will be proud of us.

No comments: