Wednesday, November 28, 2007

eWalden

So, I'm at work scrubbing the floors (it's amazing what kind of "jack-of-all-trade" work you get yourself into when you enter the food service industry), and I realize that in a lot of ways, I am similar to Henry David Thoreau. We are, for example, both highly opinionated, and prefer the be surrounded by the majesty of nature (although still within easy reach of the conveniences of society), both have transcendental leanings, and neither of us are particularly good writers. Good enough, but not profound. Better at coming up with ideas, I suppose, than writing them down.

There are a few differences between us, however. For instance, Thoreau did not have the Internet. The only thing preventing me from living in the Internet, on the other hand, is the fact that there's no way I know of for a physical entity to manifest in any meaningful way within a construct composed entirely of data. Oh well.

Also, from accounts I've heard and one portrait I've seen, Thoreau was supposed to have been an ugly, ugly man. Others have affirmed for me that I am at least average-looking...although I'll admit that I'm more than a little skeptical of those who claim that I'm particularly good-looking.

Oh yes, and also, I don't have an unrequited crush on Ralph Waldo Emerson's wife. Zing!

PLUR!

No comments: