Wednesday, July 4, 2007

What's the story, Wishbone?

So, I've been doing a lot of thinking recently about gaming, especially role-playing games. I've been trying to (slowly) up my participation in RPGs after a long hiatus in which I basically didn't do any. I enjoy the games very much, and I have a lot of ideas, but I sometimes get frustrated with the pacing of other peoples' games and certain aspects of the rules (mostly with D&D and d20 derivative games, since they're some of the most common, but I think I've had some small level of dissatisfaction with all the different systems I've been exposed to so far).To that end, I like to run games myself. There's a lot to be said for being a Game Master - especially since it allows you a lot more freedom in what ideas you can use to put together a game session, a longer-term adventure, or an entire universe to use as the game's setting.

The problem is, I'm a storyteller at heart. I love intricate webs of events, personalities, and relationships that lead majestically (or perhaps convoluted-ly) to a climax, and then come to an ultimate resolution. With an entire world to play with in the process of setting creation, I'm like a child in a candy store that is also a playground that is located in the middle of a water park that is also the coolest cartoon ever. ...Or something like that. Basically, I've got almost complete and total freedom in creating compelling and interesting stories for the worlds I build. The problem is, because of the intricacy of the stories, or because certain personalities are so central to them, it's not always easy to craft them in such a way that they're accessible to PCs...or at least in a way that I'm willing to make them accessible to PCs (for certain favorite storylines).

For those of you with any amount of experience in running roleplaying games, can you give me any advice on how I might be able to loosen up and open my settings and worlds and stories so that they're accessible to player characters? This is something I've been dealing with a lot recently, esp. as I've been trying to cobble together a campaign setting for a D&D game and I keep coming up with ideas that make me think, "this would make a fantastic storyline!....oh, but wait...the PCs wouldn't be involved in it!"

Any advice, suggestions, sympathies, or - frankly - even abject mockery would be greatly appreaciated!

PLUR!

No comments: