Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dialogical graffiti

Bathroom stall graffiti is something we're all aware of, but doesn't come up in conversation too terribly often. Normally I wouldn't bring it up either, but there's some textual vandalism in a stall at one of my jobs that's actually kind of fascinating. It takes the form of dialogical comments (which in and of itself isn't terribly uncommon, I suppose), but instead of libeling people's sexual proclivities or dipping into the well of juvenile offensiveness, it's a semi-intellectual discourse about the contentious relationship between the science and religion.

The first comment seems to be a sharpie-based statement that reads "Biology certifies my belief that there is no God." The immediate response appears to be another brief (perhaps tongue-in-cheek) comment that reads "Theology proves my belief...that there is no me", and a third (which I assume is the most recent) simply reads "Jesus Christ, the cornerstone". Scattered around these core statements are other pen-, pencil-, and crayon(???)-scrawled comments that say things like "too direct", "smart person", and "like" (because Facebook is just too dang ubiquitous, y'all!).

I know better to contribute to the vandalism (because even though it's interesting, I'd still be engaging in defacing public property), but if that weren't a concern, I think it'd be fun to add some comments of my own to the dialogue. My favorite idea so far is "Positivism enforces my experience that only that which is observable is true. I have observed neither God nor evolution, but I exist. Therefore, I must have created myself. CONGRATULATIONS YOU GUYS. YOU JUST MADE ME A SOLIPSIST. D:"

No comments: