Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Between Friends - dialogue sketch

Isabelle pouted playfully, looking up at Will over her glasses. "Why do you always make fun of me like that? Is it because you don't like me?"

Will dropped the goofy grin he'd been sporting. "Actually, it's because I'm completely, one-hundred percent infatuated with you."

"See? That's what I'm talking about - you're doing it again!"

"No, I'm serious. I never planned to tell you but I guess I just boned that up pretty bad... 'Cause, well, y'know, you're in a relationship, and I have a strict policy about being a homewrecker. 'Don't do it,' actually. That's my policy."

"Oh, wow. I had no idea."

"Really? I'm kind of surprised. Subtlety ain't exactly my string suit."

"I know, I know. I guess I didn't notice because of all my stress from school and practice and no sleep. But, wow...you really like me?"

"Mmhmm. I mean, I wasn't going to tell you or anything." Will pointed toward his eyes, and then his glasses. "I may be mostly blind, but I've got four eyes and sometimes even I catch on about stuff. Like how it's a generally bad idea to hit on someone who's already in a relationship. Besides, there's already a waiting list."

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean."

"Yeah, I do..." Isabelle threw her arms around Will, hugging him fiercely. "I'm so sorry, darlin'. I wish this situation was different."

"I dunno. If it was different, you might be having this conversation with me instead of the other way around. And I don't think I would wish that on you. And you've got enough going on."

"Meh."

They both stood in silence for a few moments.

"Well...it's late. I need to be going. I have work in the morning. I can walk you back before I go, if you want. Unless you're going over to his place. Then it probably wouldn't be a great idea. Could be funny, though." A wry smile touched his lips.

"Yeah, no... probably not. I'll see you soon, though?"

"Not sure. I don't have another day off until Sunday. Call me if you need anything, though. And good luck with stuff. I hope you get some sleep."

No comments: