Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Actual content

Here's a quick update.

Some of you already know this, but I wanted to make a more general announcement of it as well, so that people who might want to know wouldn't be left in the dark. :)

Last week I started a new job. Every few years counties in NC are required to do a community reassessment, re-evaluating community, health, safety, and environmental issues in that county. Wake County is currently in the midst of this reassessment process, and they're gunning for one of the most comprehensive, far-reaching assessments in the county's history. In order to handle the volume of information they're seeking, Wake County has hired on a dozen or more young people (mostly grad students) to go into the field and survey people in the community. I am one of those students! Now, in addition to working at the restaurant here in Greensboro, I will also be at different points in Wake County three days a week, administering surveys and collecting data for the county!

Between the survey work and having class in Durham every week, I'm going to be on the road quite a lot in the next few weeks. It's one of the unfortunate side effects of living in Greensboro, but working in and around Raleigh! The surveying period should be over by the end of the year, so I should have a little more sanity in my schedule by then, but for the next 6-8 weeks, I'm not going to have a whole lot of free time or money (even though it looks like it's held steady for the past couple days, the price of gas is on the rise again). If the rest of this job goes like my first few days in the field, this is going to be a really good experience with some fun and interesting people!

And now you know. :)

2 comments:

naiadkitty said...

Oh! I didn't know that! Well, I hope they're keeping you safe while you're out and about talking to who knows who. (I have heard stories. Scary, scary stories.)

If you're ever in the Raleigh area on a Tuesday evening and you want some socialization, we could probably sneak you into the knitting group :) But you're probably too busy for that.

We'll get to see you next weekend (14th), right?

Fl0w3r Ch1ld said...

So far no problems! We're going out in pairs, so fortunately I'm not out in the field by myself! That would be a little scary, if I was...

Unfortunately, I don't work early in the week! My typical hours are Thursdays-Saturdays. ...which means I WILL be in (or around!) Raleigh on the 14th! Unless something serious comes up, I'm planning to be there. :)