Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"...two countries separated by the Atlantic Ocean"

I was trying to figure out why the formatting on the paper I wrote last night was so strange when I printed it off, so I was looking around in the settings of my word processor. For some reason the paper size was set to A4 (the international standard) which is longer than standard letter size...and which gave me an extra half-page of text once I formatted the document back to the proper size! That's a HUGE difference, considering I was working on only a 4-5 page assignment.

Most people I know complain about the length of papers they write, but I'm one of the few who probably worries from time to time that assignments I turn in may be too long. [chuckles]

My computer has been doing strange little things like this ever since I got back from England a few years ago. Even though I've tried to change them on more than one occassion, the time stamps on my IM client, my blog, and a few of the other web-based services I use still default to GMT instead of my proper time zone. Similarly, if I type "Amazon" into my browser's address bar and hit enter, I'll be taken to amazon.co.uk instead of amazon.com. I also had to adjust settings on my spell-check, because I kept getting red squiggles under words like "color" instead of "colour", "favor" instead of "favour", and "aluminum" instead of "aluminium" (...although that spelling might actually be standard; I'm not sure though!).

No comments: